You can make your Jubilee Scarecrow out of any medium you like as long as it is 3D. If you are not sure of how to build one here’s a basic guide to building a scarecrow.
You will need:
- 1 sturdy stick/bamboo cane about 2m long
- 1 sturdy stick/bamboo cane about 1m long
- 1 sturdy stick/bamboo cane about 30cm long
- Old clothes, e.g. shirt, jumper, trousers, hat
- Old pair of tights
- Straw or leaves
- Make the Frame – Tie the 1m stick tightly to the 2m stick about 15cm from 1 end, in a cross shape. Then tie the 30cm stick in the same way about half way down.
- Make a Head – Cut the leg from the tights and fill with some straw. Push this firmly to the end of the cut off leg and make it into a head shape. Tie a piece of string around the top of the leg to stop the straw coming out. Tie the head onto the top of the frame.
- Dress Your Scarecrow – Placing the shirt/blouse/dress on the top cross bar and trousers/skirt on the smaller bar is the standard scarecrow design. Tie off the bottom of the legs of the trousers and stuff them with straw. Button up the shirt/blouse and tie the sleeves with string and stuff them with straw.
- Decorate Your Scarecrow – You can decorate your scarecrow so that he/she represents any character that you want.
- Have fun!!!
Straw can be purchased from: Abbey Farm Feeds, Fishers Hill, Fareham, PO15 5QZ Shop: 01329 847866 Cost: approx £5.50.
For further information about the Jubilee Scarecrow Trail can be found on the other Scarecrow Trail pages here.